Impact Of Clean Water
Benefits of Clean Water
Based on reports from the field when we install biosand filters or sink water wells, here is the impact we have observed. Between $8 and $20 dollars of need are lifted from an impoverished community every time a single dollar is invested in clean water solutions.
- People get well from bacterial infections
- People get well from fungal infections.
- They are able to digest their food properly.
- Malaria pills work better as does all medicine.
- Dysentery is knocked out.
- Money that had to be spent on firewood to boil bad water now buys food.
- Air pollution from burning wood to boil water is eliminated.
- The family chickens start laying eggs again or lay better eggs.
- The family animals (if they have a goat or others) become stronger and healthier.
- Sometimes clean water enables a small business that supports the whole family (one lady used the water from the filter to make mango juice and sells that to neighbors-that is her means of support).
- Women and girls do not have to go on long walking trails every day to retrieve water saving them time and enabling them to go to work or school.
- Taking the women and girls off the water trails protects them from sexual assault and kidnapping risks.
- Hope that they can improve their lives through education or working is ignited.
- Homes and schools with bio-sand filters become sharing points for neighbors who don’t have clean water.
- Sanitation training is accepted by people who don’t know how to properly exercise sanitation practices when they see water that is better.
- Risk of death is averted. (780 million people currently lack clean water and some estimates say that every 21 seconds someone dies because of a lack of clean water).
- The talent and potential of many people are preserved through clean water.
- The agony of typhoid fever is knocked out.
- Worms are stopped in their digestion system.
- Cholera is stopped dead in its tracks.
- Medical professionals who mix medicines are able to provide better medicine with our filters-which helps everyone who receives critical medical care.
- Organ harvesters who kidnap girls at watering holes do not find girls waiting for clean water because they can pour bad water from their home area into the BSF instead.
- Deforestation is slowed because people no longer need to burn firewood to make safe water.